Hatboro-Horsham controls line of scrimmage in rout of Wissahickon

LOWER GWYNEDD >> After going through some struggles in prior weeks, Wissahickon looked to finally break into the win column in conference play Friday night as it took on Hatboro-Horsham.

Instead, the Hatters pounded the ball on the ground and dominated the line of scrimmage on both side of the ball as Hatboro-Horsham remained undefeated as they made easy work of the Trojans 42-20.

The Hatboro-Horsham ground game was headed by Jordan Mason, who finished with five carries for 89 yards and two touchdowns, all in the first half. Kingsley Nworu provided a spark in the back field as well with four carries for 64 yards.

“The kids executed,” Hatboro-Horsham coach Mike Kapusta said. “Of course it always comes down to the offensive line, they played very well in the first half.”

Although the Trojans might have been a bit shocked walking into the locker room at half time facing a 35-0 deficit, Wissahickon rebounded by putting three scores on the board in the second half. Deshawn Newman got the scoring started for the Trojans as he scored on a two-yard touchdown pass to Mike Schoenieber. Schoenieber tossed two more TDs in the half, both to Marlyn Johnson.

“I told them to keep their heads up, keep working hard (and) ignore the score,” Wissahickon coach Mike Borkowski said. “I said you’re playing for pride out there and they showed it, they really worked hard at it. I’m very proud of them.”

Wissahickon was dealt a bad hand both entering and throughout the game. Going into the game Wissahickon was missing one of its best lineman and team captains in Yondel Dudley along with a handful of other regular starters and lost quarterback Mike Marino to an ankle injury in the first half.

“Every week it just seems like whoever we decide to have plays for gets hurt,” Borkowski said. “I don’t know who we ticked off with the football gods it just seems like every week we got two or three guys that are going down hurt.”

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply