Connect with us

Ice Hockey

Wissahickon rallies past Hatboro-Horsham

Wissahickon’s Bryan Garry reaches for the puck in front of Hatboro-Horsham’s net during their game on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018. (Gene Walsh/Digital First Media)

HATFIELD TWP. >> With barely a minute to play and the score deadlocked at one apiece, Wissahickon’s consistent pressure on the Hatboro-Horsham net had produced a penalty shot.

Sean Garry’s plan was soon set in motion.

“I knew what I was gonna do before I even skated down. I came down, looked at the spot, saw it was open, and just ripped it right past him,” the senior said.

Garry beat Hatters keeper Joey Gambino, who, for most of the night had been impenetrable, to send the Trojans to a 2-1 comeback victory over the Hatters and keep Wiss unbeaten in the Suburban High School Hockey League American Conference at 3-0-1.

Hatboro-Horsham’s Tarek Elsabbagh works to control the puck as Wissahickon’s Matt Cade defends during their game on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018. (Gene Walsh/Digital First Media)

“I think this really shows how strong we are as a team,” Garry said of the win, punctuated by his winning PK with 1:07 to go.

“It was a heck of a game to watch,” said Trojans coach Kenneth Harrington.

Wiss got a strong performance in net from Michael Henderson, played tough defense throughout and turned up the heat late in third to get the game tied.

“The first goal was really one of the only times we got it out in front,” Garry said of Matt Cade’s tally with 6:51 to go. “We really capitalized on that.”

For most of the evening, Hatboro-Horsham (2-2, 2-2 conference) had kept the Trojan offense in check.

“They were stacking the middle, just trying to keep us to the outside,” Garry said. “They did a good job of cutting off most of the passing lanes but I felt like once we got the puck in the middle, we could do what we wanted.”

Hatboro-Horsham’s Aidan Esack goes to free the puck from Wissahickon’s goalie Michael Henderson during their game on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018. (Gene Walsh/Digital First Media)

Tarek Elsabbagh scored in the second period to put Hatboro in front, 1-0. Gambino helped keep it that way, making 28 saves.

“It was very intense,” Gambino said of the contest at Hatfield Ice. “You just gotta keep yourself focused.”

“Joey is gonna play but of course it takes the five guys in front of him, shutting down the Garry brothers, of course. It’s six men out there working together,” Hatters coach Gianni Lafratta said.

In an evenly-played contest, Hatboro had the slight edge in shots, 31-30. The Hatters shut out the high-powered Trojans (4-2) for nearly 42 minutes, and then Garry worked his magic with a minute to play.

“It was a fantastic game, except for the outcome,” Lafratta said with a smile.



Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

3 × five =

Recent News

More in Ice Hockey